Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Earl" Qualities

"Earl" Qualities, Characteristics and Traditions

by Wilma Adams & Barbara Earle


My mother (Lois Emily) remembers having two separate houses until her mother, Elethra Calista, died then Aunt Viola and her family all moved over to our house because it was the bigger of the two houses. The only time Aunt Viola said a cross word to her was after Bunkerville had had a small earthquake - which was very upsetting to all the small children. Later on when mother was washing dishes on a table she took her knee and wiggled the table. This reminded the little kids of the. earthquake and scared them, especially Aunt Winona. Aunt Viola scolded mother for scaring the children.

Elethra Calista had a pretty singing voice and she and Aunt Viola often sang duets together. Elethra singing soprano and Aunt Viola singing alto.

My mother believed in getting up and getting your work done and then you could go and play. She always gave me a list of jobs to complete and when I thought I was finished she would check off my list with me to be sure I had done a good job. Then I was through and could go play. I have done the same thing with my children and they are doing the same thing with their children. Mother often used lists for other things as well as jobs. If she was not going to be home for supper, I had a detailed list of what I was to prepare and set up for the evening meal.

SERVICE: This is a broad topic that includes going where the Lord calls you to go and talking the tasks that the Lord wants you to accomplish. Certainly evident in our ancestors as they left the Salt Lake City area and. moved to the "Big Muddy". Service also includes accepting and going on missions for the church. In generations that have followed the J. I. Earl family we can see that we have sent missionaries to every continent around the globe, all going willingly to serve the Lord and carry forth His message.

Service also includes being willing to work where the Lord needs you. My mother and father always had several church callings and were always busy keeping the kingdom rolling along. There is not a task that is too menial. It was not in their dispositions to question why a calling was given - just to get in and serve. And they were always rewarded with many blessings.

Service includes looking for ways to be of service. Taking a meal to someone in need without someone having to arrange it. Giving of their time and efforts without being recognized. Just being of service because it was the right thing to do.

INDUSTRIOUS AND HARDWORKING: I don't recall ever seeing my parents just sit and watch television. They always had something to do while they watched. And they did not watch much. They were not afraid of using a little elbow grease. They made rugs or quilts out of old materials. They did lots of canning to provide for the family and to not let anything go to waste.

THRIFTY: They made do or did without. Waste Not Want Not was almost second nature to them. My mother, Lois, sewed pieces of cloth together to make the various pieces for a quilt, which you can see when you look closely at any of her many quilts. She did not throw out much at all when she made something "new".

EDUCATION: Again both of my parents were always studying - usually the scriptures. Both boys and girls had to be well-educated and well-read, College was encouraged and almost everyone attended -. Lois taught classes at the Lion House in Salt Lake City for many years. Mother always told me she would feel sorry for me if I did not get good grades but I had better get an A in Deportment. My mother (Lois) often gave readings of stories in her younger years. Dramatic readings were also enjoyed. Music was always encouraged specially the pinao.

TEMPLE: Always #1 goal – to be worthy to attend and to attend as often as possible. Mother always had a temple apron she was working on so the visual was always there that it was very important to be worthy to get to the temple. My parents served in the Salt Lake Temple Presidency for may years.

HOSPITABLE: There was always room at the table for one more mouth. And often an extra one was added. BIG family meals were almost commonplace. Mother had a table that folded up to quite a small table which was pushed against the wall, took up very little space; but opened up to seat a lot of people. Visitors were always welcome and came often to stay with our family.

IMPORTANCE OF EACH SOUL: Children did not always follow the ways the parents thought they should go but they were still loved and accepted into the family. They were always encouraged to change their ways but still they were accepted for themselves. Today we see too many families disown a child that is not following the expected path. This was not the case with my parents. They encouraged you but also accepted you and above all loved you.

. .

No comments:

Post a Comment